Saturday, July 16, 2005

Singers

Only a few hours sleep until I get up on Saturday morning to finish working at the client before I jump on a plane at 1655 to my final destination, Shanghai. I just met up with my mate, Chang Ling, who took me out for a night on the town in Singapore. We went to the Long Bar at the Raffles Hotel and had a glass of the famous Singapore Sling (very nice), followed by a pepper crab and deep fried squid down by the Singapore River at Clarke Quay (an expat hangout). The Long Bar has cracked peanut shells all over the ground. You can throw your shells on the ground as they want the Long Bar to be a place where you can relax and not worry about making a mess. Chang Ling’s plane got in late so we only met up around 11pm and of course Singapore was still going strong when I got back to the Orchard Hotel, where I’m staying, around 2.

Singapore is a pretty cool place. I had heard from some people that it is sterile, and I imagined it would be all concrete and road but there are heaps of trees and greenery throughout the city which makes it really pleasant. The weather suits me fine, its hot all the year around. Earlier this evening I went for a walk along Orchard Road, the famous shopping road in Singapore. I bought a couple of accessories for my camera (and did some bargaining) and the camera guy also taught me a few new functions on my camera that I didn’t know about (probably because I didn’t read the manual yet).

I have been working at a client out in Jurong Town, about 25 minutes by taxi from the city. There is a ship building company right next door (hey Stew, this isn't where you were working in Singapore is it, when you were doing the cable ship?).

I take the freeway out to Jurong Town - some workers travel in the back of a truck to work, and I was wondering what they do when it rains... then it rained and I found out-->
x

x

x

x

x

x

Last night I managed to get back from work in time to go on a Night Tour of Singapore. We went on a boat ride on the Singapore River, had Chinese seafood for dinner, went to the Raffle Hotel (no time for Singapore Sling) and Bugis Village (serious bargain shopping).

x

x

x

x

It has been a painful few days in Singapore as THE sale of the year has been on in Singapore but I’m already overweight in baggage so I couldn’t buy anything (damn all those client workpapers, not that I wasn’t already overweight). Oh the shoes, the shoes…. Hunter, I was thinking of you as I looked at the shoes.


The Fullerton Hotel, Singapore

x

x

x

x

Backtracking a bit, Brisbane was fun. I caught up with my ace friend Mish and her new hubby Troy. We ate dip and watched Mythbusters so I know they are true friends.

The last night I was there the client took me and Desmond (my colleague from Hong Kong) out to Turkish for dinner at Southbank. The restaurant was great, a vivid Turkish theme throughout. Then it was straight onto the plane for an overnight trip to Singapore and then straight to the client there (after an hour in the hotel to freshen up). Luckily the plane was empty so I got 3 seats to myself and slept quite well. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Brisbane at night.

1 comment:

Stew Peake said...

Oh, the memories of those long, long days in the shipyards at Jurong have come flooding back! Not to mention the long, long nights partying hard at Clarke Quay and on Orchard Road (in the somewhat seedy Orcard Tower just next to the Orchard Hotel where your stayed!).
I have to say that Singapore sure is a fine town!